Fear not - I have done some "tweaking" and have come up with a very easy recipe for "Sugar-Free Hot Cross Buns" that you can make at home. I have made the recipe in the bread machine but it will work just fine if you want to mix and knead it by hand.
- 350 mls water
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons rice malt syrup
- 600 gms bakers flour
- 3 tablespoons milk powder
- 1 teaspoon bread improver
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground mixed spice
- 2 1/4 teaspoons yeast
- (1 cup of sultanas or mixed dried fruit added at the beep) as you know there is lots and lots of sugar in dried fruit so I don't put any in - entirely optional - I just love the spicy buns as they are
First of all place all the ingredients, in the order that they are written, into the bread machine and set it for the "dough" setting. This, on most machines, is a cycle which takes about 1 and a half hours to complete. An initial mixing stage and then a first rise stage.
This is a picture of mine after the completion of the "dough" setting cycle.
Tip the dough out onto a floured work surface, punch down and knead softly for about 30 seconds. Then divide the dough into 18 round balls of approximately the same size.
Place them in a large baking tray, or two smaller lasagne dishes, as I have done here. Cover with oiled plastic wrap or a damp teatowel and put aside in a warm spot for the final "rise" - they will double in size again.
You will then be able to pipe crosses on top, if you wish, with just a smooth paste of flour and water. If you don't have a piping bag, a plastic bag with the corner cut off works just as well. Then into a 200 degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
Turn out onto a wire rack to cool - or toast one straight away to have with a "cuppa". Mmmmmmmm smell that......